Three points at Gillingham

Okeford put in a battling display to get their first win of 2013 and with it move themselves off of the bottom of the table.  Although they still have a handful of games in hand over the teams around them it was an important result to get off the foot of the league as soon as possible.  Having played well in the first half the last two weeks, but only getting a point in those two games, Okeford arrived looking to put a full 90 minute performance in.  In truth though, it was a hardworking team effort that got the result in a game where the hosts dominated possession.

Playing up the hill in the first half, the Butterboys only managed a couple of long range efforts, whereas Gillingham, looking to close within 6 points of first placed Mere, carved out a handful of decent chances.  Only a mixture of poor finishing, a good commanding performance from Tony Wooldridge, deputising for Lee Gray in goal, and some last ditch defending kept the scores level at the half.

In the second half, Okeford stepped up their performance, beginning to even out the possession, and create a few more chances.  The deadlock was broken on 70 minutes, with Stuart Antell smashing a loose ball just inside the post for his third goal in two games.

Okeford now had something to hold on to and were determined to leave with the three points their effort deserved.  Gillingham pushed forward and came close to scoring from a corner, but the striker headed over.  A late penalty appeal was turned down, and Okeford held on for the win.

Okeford return to the Recreation Ground for their first home game since the 10th November, when they play host to Upwey and Broadwey.

GK Tony Wooldridge  
LB Ed Thomas  
CB Matt Drake  
CB Chris Cole  
RB Callum Frampton  
LM Adam Stockton (Dan Sutherland, 73min)
CM Olly Chaffey  
CM Mark Kirchmair  
RM Stuart Antell   
ST Jonathon Frampton (Jonathan Wareham, 45min)
ST Sadik Ali  
Sub Jonathan Wareham  
Sub Dan Sutherland  
Sub Sam Pike  
Sub Martin Webber  
Sub Lee Gray